v

v

Tuesday 15 January 2013

The Three Epiphanys


We commonly think of the Epiphany as that one event in Christ's life where the Magi, led by a star, make their way to see him and offer him gifts fitting a new king. However, the Catholic liturgy considers the Epiphany to be threefold; the visit by the Magi, the baptism of Jesus by John, and the miracle of the wine at the wedding feast of Cana. The Greek word, epiphaneia, was used to signify the coming of a king or emperor. It was also used for the self-manifestation of a god or for his miraculous intervention; this later, likely the original use of the word. 
St. Paul used the word "epiphany" three times; first in reference to Jesus first coming; 
  • He saved us and called us to a holy life, not according to our works but according to his own design and the grace bestowed on us in Christ Jesus before time began, but now made manifest through the appearance (epiphaneias) of our Savior Christ Jesus, who destroyed death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.         2 Tim. 1:9-10
The other two uses refer to Jesus second coming; (Titus 2:13) and (2 Thess. 2:8)
For this blog I thought it appropriate not only to behold these wondrous appearances but also to listen to the voices of those who were the first to see.

THE MAGI
  • "Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage."
Prayer: O Lord, where in my heart is such wonder and awe, such hunger to find you, that I might surrender my whole heart to your kingship? My eyes are no longer fixed heaven ward, but rather on the empty and passing things that surround me, like dark clouds covering my view of the stars. Let the brilliance of your true presence break through my darkness and lead me once again in search of you.

Jesus Baptism by John

  • "I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."
Prayer: O Lord, is there a day, soon to come, when a new fire will burn in my heart. Has my baptism become but a single ember, barely glowing? Fan into flame once again, that fire of faith I was given. Baptize me anew in your Holy Spirit, and awaken in me the fire of your Love. Let me hear once again, in my heart, your voice speaking to me, "You are my child, my beloved; with you I am well pleased."

CANA
  • Mary said, "They have no wine." ... "Do whatever he tells you."
Prayer: Mary, these words you speak are now about me. The wine of my faith and the wine of my hope and the wine of my love have surely run out. I am but a clay pot, idle and empty. Where would I be now, if your motherly love for me was not speaking to me these words of wisdom. I will do what your Son now tells me. I will take the water of my humble prayers, the water of my study of his word, the water of my examination of mind and heart to fill my idleness and emptiness, while I await his transforming grace of renewal.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.