v

v

Wednesday 3 April 2013

EASTER - Part Two


“Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.

Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” 

Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, 
“Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”

Considerations for Your Prayer:

(+) We must not be harsh in judging Thomas for his doubting. After all, in the voice of Thomas, do we not hear the echo of our own voices, with our own doubts. Is he not seeking the same favour the others received when Jesus revealed himself to them?

(+) Is Thomas doubting what they are reporting, ever happened, or is he doubting that such a Jesus, as they describe, could possibly exist at all? What Jesus has become could not have ever entered their minds. This Jesus is the same Jesus they knew, yet now he is an entirely, New Creation, that no one was expecting. As they reach out and touch Jesus here and now, their touch crosses over from the now to eternity. They are the first to know what we all will become. 

(+) The heart of Thomas, together with the others, has just undergone a crushing blow from the hammer of death, wielded by the hand of Satan. Every blow suffer by Jesus, smashed to pieces the infant hope they held in Jesus. Consider your own heart, what blows are you experiencing at this time?

(+) Doubt is the dying lifeblood of hope, draining out of a heart wounded and broken by the power of evil. Risen Saviour, heal our hearts, restore in us the Hope we have lost. Let us hear again your Voice calling:  “Peace be with you.” … “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, … believe (again).”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.