v

v

Wednesday 29 May 2013

Hearing Is Believing










In the gospels we see accounts of Jesus at prayer, and in the account of Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane, we hear some of the words Jesus is saying in prayer. Clearly, when Jesus prays he enters into a "communion", presence with the Father. Consider these text:

  • + And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His VOICE you have never heard, his form you have never seen; Jo.5:37
  • + It is written in the prophets, `And they shall all be taught by God.' Every one who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me. Jo.6:45
  • + I have much to say about you and much to judge; but he who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him." Jo.8:26
  • + I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father." Jo.8:38
  • For I have not spoken on my own authority; the Father who sent me has himself given me commandment what to say and what to speak. Jo.12:49
  • + No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. Jo. 15:15
As Christians, when we pray, we enter into a communion of spirits with Jesus. We too, seek to "hear", (Lord speak ... I am listening.) This form of prayer is essential to the evangelist. Like Jesus, the evangelist is to proclaim what they hear. When Jesus said, "... you have not known him; I know him … and I keep his word." Jo.8:55he was showing the religious leaders what was missing in their leadership. How can you talk about someone you do not know?




Praying With Scriptures


The best place to begin praying, so as to hear the Voice of the Lord, is with the scriptures. Scripture is the Word of God. Already, God is speaking through the written Word. 

Listen! What do you Hear?
Learning how to "listen" to the scriptures is different from reading the scripture or studying the scriptures. You see the words on the page, the sound of the words comes to you as the reader speaks. But, what do you hear? Little children are often corrected, "... pay attention, I'm speaking to You!" The dictionary defines "attention" this way: 

(... a concentration of the mind on a single object or thought, especially one preferentially selected from the many, with a view to clarifying receptivity by narrowing the range of stimuli.)

When we come to prayer, our minds may be a blur of thinking about all manner of things, creating so much static in our minds that hearing the Lord's voice will be virtually impossible. Having a passage, even a verse, even a single word of scripture helps us to concentrate, and so begin the process of listening.

"Preferentially selected from the many ..."  Having a structured approach to selecting scripture for one's prayer, is most helpful. There are several approaches one can use. Choosing the best one for your spiritual journey at this time is very important. But it all begins when you open the Word and pray - "Speak Lord, your servant is listening."

More on selecting scripture for prayer to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.