v

v

Thursday 11 July 2013

Review

So far, in these notes on prayer, we have looked at eight subjects:

1. Prayer, Hearing Is Believing
2. A Place To Pray
3. In His Presence
4. First Principle
5. Passage
6. The Heart Knows
7. Who's Voice Do I Hear?
8. Listening
These subjects are connected to a new series, on the New Evangelization. In order to have a New Evangelization we need "New Evangelists". An evangelist is one who knows the Lord; not knows about the Lord, rather, one who "knows" in a personal, intimate way - person-to-person.

It begins with an encounter with the living Christ. This encounter is initiated by the Lord. There is no formula that makes this encounter happen, it is solely dependent upon Jesus and only happens when Jesus chooses to reveal himself.  An encounter with Christ can be sudden and dramatic and unexpected, like St. Paul encountering Jesus on the road to Damascus. It is initiated by Jesus and is sometimes called the "Grace, without previous cause."

Perhaps, the more common way an encounter is granted, begins with a person hearing about the possibility of an encounter with the Risen Lord, and desires this for themselves. They begin by asking for the Lord to come and reveal himself, and the Lord then grants their prayer.

There are different titles we can give to this experience of grace; Encounter With Christ, Grace of Conversion, Baptism In The Holy Spirit, Grace of Renewal. What is common in each of these is Jesus showing himself in a real and discernible way to the person praying, who now has a personal experience of the living Christ. Now they KNOW HIM, and this grace becomes the foundation of their life of faith. 

The way Jesus revealed himself to his disciples after his resurrection, was tangible and demonstrative. "He showed them his hands and his side". He said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” This way of revealing himself was necessary to heal the wound of doubt caused by his passion and death on the cross. But after his Ascension, a new way of encountering his risen presence was instituted. 
The Advocate. John 14:15  “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always, the Spirit of truth, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows Him. But you know Him, because He remains with you, and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you.
From this time until now, the age of the Holy Spirit has existed. "He remains with you, and will be in you." 


The New Evangelist is:

  1. A Person of prayer, immersed in the Word. (i.e. following this or similar approach to praying scripture).
  2. Baptized anew in the Holy Spirit.
  3. Having a pattern of discernment as they experience the Spirit's call.
  4. Developing in communion with the Church, collaborating with others, i.e. sharing groups, spiritual direction, parish programs of formation, team ministry.
****


PRAYER FOR THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

Jesus my Lord, I confess to you and to all the world / my need for your presence in my life. / I am alone and in darkness without you. / I am influenced and controlled by the many forces that surround me. / Even though I struggle against them,/ it is sin that so easily dominates my life. / Who can save me but you alone, / my Lord and my God. / Deliver me from the Evil One. / Touch my life with that power which flows from your Resurrection. / Cause your Holy Spirit to be born in me anew. / Prince of Peace and Lord of Glory / reign now in my heart. / Baptize me with your Holy Spirit and Fire. / Raise me up to a New Life in you.
********

Review the notes on prayer on the the Page, Let Us Pray the Scriptures Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.