v

v

Tuesday 18 March 2014

LENT 2014 * Joy of the Gospel Series * four

One Flock, One Shepherd
I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.” John 10:14-18



The approach we are using for this Lenten series is to take Pope Francis’ words, and rather than read them through quickly, to take them and ponder them prayerfully; asking the Spirit to shed new light, new depth to their meaning, and so enlighten our minds to the full meaning of evangelization in the Church today.


Pope Francis In His Own Words,
Joy of the Gospel:

The Spiritual savour of being a people

268. The word of God also invites us to recognise that we are a people: “Once you were no people but now you are God’s people” (1 Pet 2:10). To be evangelizers of souls, we need to develop a Spiritual taste for being close to people’s lives and to discover that this is itself a source of greater joy. Mission is at once a passion for Jesus and a passion for his people. When we stand before Jesus crucified, we see the depth of his love which exalts and sustains us, but at the same time, unless we are blind, we begin to realize that Jesus’ gaze, burning with love, expands to embrace all his people. We realize once more that he wants to make use of us to draw closer to his beloved people. He takes us from the midst of his people and he sends us to his people; without this sense of belonging we cannot understand our deepest identity.

FOR CONSIDERATION AND PRAYER

Through whose eyes do you observe the world's people. It would be hard to list all of the different groupings that separate people into different identities; gender, race, nationality, culture, ethnicity, wealth, age, social status, just to mention a few, and of coarse, religion. 

But to God, we are all His people to whom he has given life and the destiny of eternal life in His presence. As Good Shepherd, Jesus sees himself as sent by the Father to reveal to the world this divine plan - to gather all people into the one family of God. Not one single person is to be left out.

The work has begun but Jesus points out, I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. Pope Francis wants us as evangelizers to have this same mind that is in Christ. 
  • Unity does not mean uniformity
  • Everyone is a brother or sister
  • Sin divides, mercy and compassion unite.
* As you prayer and reflect, ask for this; "the mind of Christ, the Good Shepherd" to be instilled in you.
* Evangelism begins the heart - MY HEART.
* Consider how "pre-judgment" may have worked its way into your view of others. 
* Pray for the gift of discernment, that you may distinguish the working of the "Good Spirit", in your heart and in the hearts of others, from that of the "Deceiver", who is lying and corrupting the hearts of God's children. ("If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." John 8:32)

269. Jesus himself is the model of this method of evangelization which brings us to the very heart of his people. How good it is for us to contemplate the closeness which he shows to everyone! If he speaks to someone, he looks into their eyes with deep love and concern: 
  • “Jesus, looking upon him, loved him” (Mk 10:21). 
  • We see how accessible he is, as he draws near the blind man (cf. Mk 10:46-52) 
  • and eats and drinks with sinners (cf. Mk 2:16) without worrying about being thought a glutton and a drunkard himself (cf. Mt 11:19). 
  • We see his sensitivity in allowing a sinful woman to anoint his feet (cf. Lk 7:36-50) and in receiving Nicodemus by night (cf. Jn 3:1-15). 

Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross is nothing else than the culmination of the way he lived his entire life. Moved by his example, we want to 
  • enter fully into the fabric of society, sharing the lives of all, 
  • listening to their concerns, 
  • helping them materially and Spiritually in their needs, 
  • rejoicing with those who rejoice, weeping with those who weep; 
arm in arm with others, we are committed to building a new world. But we do so not from a sense of obligation, not as a burdensome duty, but as the result of
 a personal decision which brings us joy and gives meaning to our lives.
FOR CONSIDERATION AND PRAYER

The Cross of Jesus was not some miscalculation on his part, of the political corruption of his opponents. The Cross of Christ was warfare. It was his deliberate act of entering fully into the world, deceived and corrupted by "Evil", - to confront the Author of lies and to bring Truth to light at the very cost of his life - vindicated by his resurrection.

  • Recall these words: No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
  • Consider the measure of your own heart.

 270. Sometimes we are tempted to be that kind of Christian who keeps the Lord’s wounds at arm’s length. Yet Jesus wants us to touch human misery, to touch the suffering flesh of others. He hopes that we will stop looking for those personal or communal niches which shelter us from the maelstrom of human misfortune and instead enter into the reality of other people’s lives and know the power of tenderness. Whenever we do so, our lives become wonderfully complicated and we experience intensely what it is to be a people, to be part of a people.

FOR CONSIDERATION AND PRAYER

In order to evangelize, one must be prepared to confront the cross, in all the ways it presents itself - your personal crosses as well as the crosses of others. To be a disciple/evangelist of Christ will not be a walk-in-the-park. In Matthew Chp.10. Jesus makes clear the challenge.
  • “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 

  • Do not worry about what to say or how to say it ... for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. 

  • What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs.
  • Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
+ IS YOUR HEART READY?

PSALM 57 

I must lie down in the midst of lions
hungry for human prey.
Their teeth are spears and arrows;
their tongue, a sharpened sword.

They have set a trap for my feet;
my soul is bowed down;
They have dug a pit before me.
May they fall into it themselves!

My heart is steadfast, God,
my heart is steadfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.