v

v

Wednesday 16 April 2014

The Sacred Triduum - Holy Thursday






Dish and Towel


Bread and Chalice

Jesus rose from supper and took off his outer garments.
He took a towel and tied it around his waist.
Then he poured water into a basin
and began to wash the disciples’ feet
and dry them with the towel around his waist.

So when he had washed their feet and put his garments back on and reclined at table again, he said to them, “Do you realize what I have done for you?
You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am.
If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet.
I have given you a model to follow,
so that as I have done for you, you should also do.”
Brothers and sisters:
I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you,
that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over,
took bread, and, after he had given thanks,
broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you.
Do this in remembrance of me.”

In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying,
“This cup is the new covenant in my blood.
Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

Take all four gospel accounts of the passion for your reflection and prayer during these sacred days. Each has something unique to offer.  The following are some passage, Voices to Hear - highlights that you can focus on for your prayer.

"I have given you a model to follow" ... John's gospel account of the Supper of the Lord, does not include an account of the institution of the Holy Eucharist. Yet, it is John gospel that the Church chooses for the gospel reading, and the account of the washing of the disciples feet. It is in the second reading, taken from St. Paul's account of what was taught to him, that we have the account of the institution of the Eucharist. 

"A dispute also arose among them, which of them was to be regarded as the greatest" Lk. 22:24 .... here Luke gives Jesus' lesson on humility and mutual service. It is essentially the same message as the dish and towel.

"This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood”  Lk 22:20 .... the act of taking communion is that solemn act by which we pledge to be faithful to Christ in all that we say and do, just as he is faithful to us, even to death, death on the cross.

"Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me" Mt. 26.22 .... how are these words spoken by Jesus, how chilling to hear ... ”It would have been better for that man if he had not been born." ... may we never take lightly our sins or presume on God's mercy.

”Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat" Lk. 22:32  .... demanded indeed, but if we are free to choose, then we must also measure up to the proof. 

”Peter said to him, "Even though they all fall away, I will not"  Mk. 14.30 ... what hope do we have against such an enemy? ... but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail" Lk. 22.33 .... one like us is on our side, He has prove his strength on the cross.

"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; … I go to prepare a place for you” Jo. 14:2 ... 

And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going." Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. Jo. 14:3-6 ... 

Watch Fr. Robert Barron's comments on the Eucharist >CLICK<

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.