v

v

Thursday 14 May 2015

Baptism In the Holy Spirit - One




In the first book, Theophilus, I dealt with all that Jesus did and taught until the day he was taken up, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. He presented himself alive to them by many proofs after he had suffered, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.

While meeting with them, he enjoined them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for “the promise of the Father about which you have heard me speak; for John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

When they had gathered together they asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” He answered them, “It is not for you to know the times or seasons that the Father has established by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:1-8

REFLECTION and PRAYER

POWER to ...

  • ... believe" no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit." 1 Cor. 12:3
  • ... be baptized" But after me [John]comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. Mtt. 3:11
  • ... be salt and light to the world" But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? ... let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Mtt. 5:13-14
  • ... be instruments of healing" Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Mtt. 10:8
  • ... cast out evil spirits" And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases. Lk. 9:1
  • ... to commit" [Jesus] said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. Lk 9:23
  • ... to enter the mystical"  [Jesus] was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his garments became white as light. … a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him." Mtt. 17:2&5
  • ... to live humbly" [Jesus] he said to them, "If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all." Mk 9:35
  • ... to challenge hypocrisy"  [Jesus] entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold, saying to them, "It is written, 'My house shall be a house of prayer'; but you have made it a den of robbers." Lk. 19:45
  • ... to pray with conviction" Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Mk. 11:24
  • ... to drink from the cup of suffering" Jesus said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible to you; remove this cup from me; yet not what I will, but what you will." Mk. 14:36
  • ... to put your life in His hands" "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." … "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." Lk. 23:42
  • ... to forgive" Jesus said, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." Lk: 23.34
  • ... to accept death peacefully" "Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit!" … having said this he breathed his last. Lk. 23:46

Novena to the Holy Spirit begins on Friday ... LINK



When he had said this, as they were looking on,
he was lifted up, and a cloud took him from their sight.
Acts 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.