v

v

Saturday 4 March 2017

First Sunday of Lent



Some reflections for prayer on the First Sunday of Lent

Gospel for the First Sunday Lent invites us to go with Jesus into the wilderness – not literally, rather into the wilderness of or our own minds & hearts. Like Jesus, we want our own integrity to be tested, to examine the true quality of our faith. What kind of believer am I?

So, let us look at the three tests to which Jesus was subjected by the devil, which are the same tests we too must face this Lent.

The first test: integrity, security of our lives, "my bread of life".

It is said that we are living in the Age of Individualism – the “Me First Generation", the “What-ever-makes-you-happy” generation. That is “my truth”, and it’s my right to have what I need and want to make me happy.

Jesus’ response: Truth comes from God the creator. The true goal of every life is to discover and pursue God’s plan for my existence. The question I must ask myself is what truth is shaping my life? What is my daily bread I seek and desire each day?

The second test: proof; seeing is believing. 

We are also called the Scientific Age. Sound reason demands proof. If religion is true, where is the proof? If God is, and God is love, why so much suffering in the world?

Jesus’ response: believing is seeing. No human mind can capture the essence of God – but God will reveal himself to those who open their minds and hearts. Ask yourself, is the secularism of today eroding my faith?

The third test: power & possession – “to the victor goes the spoils”. 

We are also called the Age of Success. My life is measured by all my successes and the power that I must have to control them.

Jesus’ response = wealth & power last but a few years – then death comes to everyone. It is said of our age that the rich are getting richer; poverty in the world is growing. But where is this leading us? History has some worrisome suggestions.
Ask yourself: life is short, eternity is forever; where do I wish to end up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.